Have you ever wondered why some restaurants show up in the three maps results for Google searches and maybe yours does not? Ranking your restaurant in that three pack is a sure way to generate a lot more customers for your business.
There is a secret recipe to rank higher in the maps.
1. CLAIM AND OPTIMIZE YOUR GOOGLE BUSINESS PAGE
The Google Maps engine is based of the Google My Business (GMB) directory/pages. Make sure to claim or create your listing and your listing is complete and accurate, including:
- Contact information and website. Include all possible contact information including your address, telephone number, and website so that Google can provide as much information as possible.
- Business hours. Google Maps tells users if a business is open or closed and if it’s opening or closing soon.
- No duplicate or inaccurate information. Google will discredit businesses with multiple phone numbers or locations listed for one actual business.
- Add photos to the listing. Everyone, including Google, likes food photos and to see your interior, so add them to this page.
2. PROPERLY CATEGORIZE YOUR BUSINESS
When you first create a Google Maps listing, you have the option of adding a primary ibusiness category, or “keyword” to describe your business.
What many business owners don’t know is that you can additional categories. You should make use of all five of these. Your primary category should be the main classification for your place (ex: bar, restaurant), while the remaining five categories should incorporate local SEO keywords that act as additional descriptors (ex: sports bar, italian restaurant, brunch restaurant, event venue).
3. ADD YOUR GMB NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER TO YOUR WEBSITE
Google needs to match the name, address and phone number (NAP) in your Google Business page to the NAP on your website. Most restaurant miss this key ingredient. Some just add the NAP to the contact page of the website. We recommend adding it there AND in the footer of your website, so it displays on every page.
Just remember matching is exact match. There is a difference between using the word Street and abbreviating ST. I would literally copy and paste the address from GMB and directly add that to your site, rather than retyping. Most web designers care less about optimizing your website for successful seo and maps ranking, so don’t think they did this for you already.
What are citations? They are your Name, Address, Phone Number (NAP) listed on a national or local business directory. Google searches these directories and matches your address in their listings to your GMB page and your website. To rank your restaurant in google maps, you need citations.
This builds authority and shows that your restaurant is probably the best choice to show first for a restaurant in the area your are located. Citation directories include Yellow Pages, City Search and dozens more.
We believe and have tested with results, reviews matter. Make sure you stay on top of reputation management and respond with public comments to both positive and negative reviews to your page. Also encourage customers to leave you a google review.
6. OTHER SECRET INGREDIENTS
We gave you the basics above, but if you want a few secret recipe ingredients to ensure Google Maps domination then get in touch with our marketing team.